Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I took my first SMALL LOSS graciously!!! Never been so excited!!

Guys,

OK this was Day 1 of my 90 day period where I follow my rules. I was basically following my rules, but realized that in my smaller account, I had miscalculated my maximum risk as about 10% instead of 1%. The trade was not going well, and while it didn't hit the stop (which was 1.5 pts away), this was a call option and it would have been ugly. Towards the end of the day we rallied, and I decided to get out of this trade. I would lose a small amount. BUT I would get back to being in compliance with my rules. So I proactively sold at the small loss near the close. I have never been so glad to take a loss. But I am realizing that without the ability to take small losses like good medicine, I will never proceed as a trader. In my larger account, I am keeping this trade on, both because Stewie has not alerted us to sell, AND because I am comfortable with the risk (< 2%). If you keep your risk appropriate, then you'll never get too worked up about any one loss, you just move on. OK back to work.

No comments: